20,042. That's the number of family violence incidents reported in 2007 in Connecticut. Here's the breakdown:
- 22 people died.
- There were 6,543 reports of assault, 107 reports of sexual assault, 17 reports of kidnapping.
- Of 18,180 victims, 13,622 were women.
- In 950 cases, a gun or knife was involved.
- In 13,183 cases, the weapon or weapons were hands, fists or feet.
- Children were involved or present in 7,401 cases.
- Drugs or alcoholwas confirmed in 6,340 cases.
- A prior court order had been issued in at least 3,692 cases.
- More incidents occurred on Sundays (3,475) than on any other day, closely followed by Saturdays (3,360).